Friday, November 20, 2015

The Boys' Birthday Party

This is the first time we've ever done a birthday party for either of the boys, and we decided to do a joint birthday party with their closest friends.  Jack had three friends his age, and Owen had two friends his age at the party.  I decided to do a camping theme for the party since the boys recently had a great time at a cook out we attended where they had a fire pit.  I had the idea to make a tree out of streamers and balloons, but every store I went to was out of brown streamers.  Jonathan executed a great tree over the table with brown paper and green balloons.  We covered the table in a table cloth, and we grilled hot dogs and hamburgers for lunch.  
 
In addition to grilling, we had veggies with hummus, apple slices, ants on a log, pretzels, and lemonade.
I found this little bakery called Cookiedoodle in downtown Jenks to do the desserts.  I got little cookies shaped like bears, a cake with a campfire decoration on top, and s'more flavored cake pops.  I made goodie bags with a take home s'more kit, a mini flashlight, a pencil that looked like a stick, and a couple of bugs.
 
I was wanting to do a piñata since Jack loves pinatas, but I couldn't find one that really fit the theme of the party.  I made a last minute trip to Target, and I found this hamburger piñata!  I regret we didn't get any pictures of the boys hitting the piñata, but it was the highlight of the party.  Jonathan cut a broomstick in half, and we hung it from a tree in the backyard.  I was afraid the boys were a little too young to actually break it, but they got it!  Each boy got 3 hits, and it only took one round of turns for it to break open.  Jackson had the chance to deliver the final blow after it cracked open since it was his  birthday :).
We opened presents after the piñata, and the boys got some really fun gifts.

And we ended the party with cake.  Jackson blew out the candles before we even finished singing Happy Birthday.  I think he was trying to beat Owen to the punch.

Here's one of my favorite pictures from the party.  This is one of Jackson's two best friends at school…it's so cute watching him develop friendships.
Both boys had a great time, and they keep asking to invite their friends over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment