Wednesday, December 26, 2012

1-Month Old and Very Blessed

Owen turned 1-month old this past Thursday, December 20th.  I can't believe that it has been a month already, but it feels like he's always been a part of our family at the same time.  I took his one month picture with two of the stuffed animals he got for Christmas. 
He's such a sweet little guy, and he's a pretty easy baby overall.  I feel so much more laid back this time around with him being the second child.  Look at this cute face...
Owen started smiling at around 4 weeks and 2 or 3 days.  It is nearly impossible to catch him doing it, but here's the best I could do :)
He'll also "talk" to us with great eye contact.  His coos are so cute, and he'll shout out when he gets excited.  I have a feeling we're going to have another talkative guy in the house to add to the two already here.  As far as other development, Owen has a strong neck, and he does really well for his age at holding his head up and looking towards sound and light.  He usually goes to bed at around 9:30 or 10pm and sleeps for about 4.5 to 5 hours initially.  After that first wake up he generally wakes up every 2 -3 hours until he's up for the day at approximately 6:45am.  I generally have to wake up 2 times per night.  Sometimes I get lucky and wake up once a night, and other nights are not as fun waking up 3 times before he's up for the day.  He has increasingly more awake time during the day, but he still naps for about half of it.  Jack usually gets up pretty late in the morning (around 8:45 or 9am), so I've learned to enjoy my time with Owen in the earlier hours.  I usually catch up on all the reality shows I DVR that Jonathan hates watching and drink my coffee.

While taking Owen's 1-month picture, Jack was not liking that all of the attention was going to Owen.  I had tried to take one picture in our bedroom, and when I came out I found this:
He then pulled down Owen's play mat, laid on it, and said "I baby."
Jack has become the master manipulator when he feels that Owen is getting too much attention.  The other day I was feeding Owen, and Jack came up to tell me that he pooped.  I put Owen down when I finished feeding him and walked back to Jack's room to change his diaper.  When I went to pick him up to put him on the changing table he collapsed to the floor so I had to pick him up while he was laughing.  When I went to change his diaper, he had not pooped...he hadn't even peed.  He just wanted my undivided attention!  For a moment I was frustrated, but then I realized it is kind of funny that he could think through a plan and execute so well :).

One other thing I wanted to mention now that this first month has come to a close is how grateful I am for everyone who has supported us during these first few weeks.  It almost goes without saying that our parents have been so helpful.  My mother and father-in-law gave up 4 weeks of their normal lives so that my mother-in-law could be out here to watch Jack while we were at the hospital for Owen.  While waiting for labor to happen, my mother-in-law packed our freezer with food so that we will have meals to defrost when needed and did a major cleaning of our house while we were gone.  My parents also made a trip out here and helped with appointments, cooking meals, cleaning around the house, and just giving me alone time with Owen while they took Jack to the park.

Beyond our family, the women in my bible study and MOPS have been AMAZING!  I have been completely blown away by how these women have served our family during this first month.  My bible study leader set up a meal train, and we had someone come to our home every other day for 3.5 weeks with a dinner for us.  Almost all of the dinners were big enough that we had leftovers for lunches and/or another dinner.  Two of the girls from my MOPS group also called me out of the blue to say they wanted to stop by with a meal when I have only gone to MOPS 3 times.  As Owen turned 1-month old I had cooked a total of ZERO dinners.  I cannot even begin to describe how helpful this was.  There is no greater way to bless a new mom who is sleep deprived and has an older child struggling a bit with the transition to a family of four than food, and I hope I can pay it forward to others in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment