Friday, July 2, 2010

It's a Boy!!!



Jonathan and I had the halfway point appointment yesterday where we got to find out the gender of the baby. I barely slept the night before, and I popped up earlier than I had to for our appointment from excitement. The ultrasound was so interesting, because you get to see the development of different sections of the brain, the four chambers of the heart, structures of the heart, valves, he has two kidneys, etc. It's amazing how much you can actually see on all that gray. The sonographer was even able to give us a close up of his nostrils and lips. Midway through the ultrasound I got extremely dizzy, nauseous, and ridiculously hot and had to ask to sit up. I guess I looked like I was losing color, and the sonographer said it's just from laying on my back for a long time and cutting off some blood supply from the weight of the growing belly. I always wondered what the big deal was about laying on your back after the fourth month until feeling like that yesterday. My blood pressure had dropped to 96/58 when the nurse took it. They gave me some time to recover, and then we were able to start over again. So, the very last part of the ultrasound is where you get to find out the gender. She scanned between the legs looking up and there was no mistaking that we are having a BOY! Now the real fun begins in planning for a little boy and preparing myself since I've hardly been around little boys in my life.

How far along: 21 weeks, 2 days
Total weight gain/loss: I pass on this one.
Maternity clothes: All the time, and they'll probably only need to go up in size.
Sleep: I've been sleeping pretty well. I'm usually most comfortable on my back, so it's taking me time to get used to sleeping on my side. I also tend to wake up really early and have a hard time going back to sleep.
Best moment this week: Jonathan is just now able to feel little kicks. He says they're still pretty faint, but he can feel them. A few days ago he put his ear to my stomach and could hear the movement of kicks as I felt them. Kind of weird!
Cravings: MILK...Jonathan calls me his baby cow.
Gender: BOY!
Labor Signs: None.
Belly Button in our out? In, but it's starting to morph.
What I miss: Venti Starbucks coffee drinks and other fancy summer drinks that either have too much caffeine or alcohol.
Weekly Wisdom: If you lay on your back too long after about 20 weeks, you have a good chance of either passing out and/or throwing up :).
Milestones: Finding out the gender, feeling kicks from the outside faintly, and getting scared/caught off guard from how the kicks feel from the inside (they're getting harder and will startle me!)

2 comments:

  1. Just wait! Before long, you'll have a foot sticking out of your belly and you're stomach will morph into shapes you never thought possible :) My best advice, keep drinking water and listen to your body! If you are craving milk, it's probably because you're body is running low on calcium with that baby growing bigger and bones getting more dense. If you don't give him the calcium he needs in your diet, it will come from your bones, teeth, etc. so drink up! Ice cream is always nice in the warmer weather too :)

    So exciting to read your new post!!! Can't wait for fun little boy clothes... they may not be as cute as girl clothes, but if you look hard, you can find some amazing little outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that you're having a boy!!! :-) glad you're feeling petty well too.

    ReplyDelete