Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Engagement Anniversary

I was looking at the calendar yesterday, and I realized that today (January 5) is the two year anniversary of when Jonathan and I got engaged. It's such a fun story, and I love looking back at pictures from that time. It's extra amazing how much has happened in our lives since that time. Jonathan and I met in September 2007 at the Denver airport. I was arriving in Denver from Memphis on vacation, and he was coming back to Colorado after visiting his parents in South Carolina. Ironically, his parents lived in Clemson, SC at the time where I went to college. I had noticed him at the Memphis airport, but we didn't sit next to each other on the plane. When we arrived in Denver, Jonathan approached me on the walk to the baggage claim. There was some confusion of where to go, and he helped point me in the right direction. We started a conversation and ended up having lunch together. Jonathan and his brother dropped me off at the hotel where I was meeting my parents. My parents couldn't believe that I got in the car with someone that I didn't even know. Anyway, we traded information and went our separate ways. About two weeks later he emailed me, and I ignored the email. About five months later I was cleaning out my phone and decided I should email him back...what the heck. Well, he didn't email me back for another four months. Once he emailed me, we communicated back and forth by email for two weeks before our first phone conversation (June 2008). Long story short, we visited each other every month, and I ended up moving to Denver to be closer to him in November 2008.

I went home for Christmas, and Jonathan had to work over the holiday on the oil rigs in North Dakota. After his hitch was over, he came to Chicago to spend some time with me and meet my parents. Here are pictures of our reflection in the "bean" in downtown Chicago:


We also spent a day at a museum downtown:


One of the days in Chicago I mentioned marriage, but he said he really wanted to wait to talk about it until we had been together for at least a year or so. He had mailed my Christmas gift to my parent's house a few days earlier. I was hoping it was a ring, but his reaction to me talking about marriage made me doubt that's what it actually was. Little did I know he asked my dad to marry me our last day in Chicago together.
When we flew back to Denver, we happened to be two baggage claims down from the one we met at. We first met at Baggage Claim 19 at the Denver airport. After we claimed our bags, we walked down to Baggage Claim 19 to reminisce and wait for our ride home. I was sitting in a baggage storage thing and Jonathan was standing over me. He asked me if I would do him a favor, and when I said what he asked me to marry him. I thought he was lying at first, but the ring was good proof it was true :). Here I am next to "our" baggage claim with Izzy after the proposal:

My mom knew that I didn't know it was coming since I looked so "casual"...haha. So we got engaged January 5, 2009, and we got married in Golden, CO May 24, 2009.
Now two amazing years after this memorable moment in our lives, we are blessed with our little baby bear, Jack:

People have always said how much time flies, but I can't believe how many of my dreams have come true in the past two years. I met a guy who truly understands me, and where we are best friends. We got married, and we had a baby so cute I can't even believe that we made him!
Now we are embarking on another new journey together. We are moving to California in February for Jonathan's job. We are sad to leave Denver and all that we have here, but we are excited for everything to come in California. So far we feel that everything has happened for a reason, and we couldn't ask for much more. I'll post some more information on our move as we get it all set up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sarah and Jonathan. Soooo good since we are so far away. Where are you going in Ca.
    Jonathan - you remember Jimmy lives in Berekely, CA. Can give you his address and phone number if you wish. Disappointed you are not coming to NC. Was excited that you-guys were coming closer to us. But, as you said - God has a reason and purpose for things that happen in our lives.
    Love you - Grandma

    ReplyDelete