Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Life with Baby these Days

Hello again from Jack! Just looking at this picture brightens my day, because I absolutely love how much Jack smiles these days. He is so much more interactive and such a happy baby (most of the time). I'm just waiting patiently for the day he finally blurts out that first laugh. For now, I spend a lot of the day getting him to smile that gummy smile.

I love that I have been given the amazing opportunity to stay home with Jack, because I couldn't imagine missing out on every moment. I was supposed to go back to work a week and a half ago, and I think it would have been harder than I ever thought to say bye to Jack each day. I definitely see myself going back to work in the future, but for the time being I am savoring this little guy's face.

I go a little stir crazy in the apartment every day by myself since Jonathan is out in California at work. I vowed to myself that I will get out at least once a day. Since walking outside really isn't an option here in Colorado during the winter, Jack and I have gone mall walking a few times. My friend Emily and her baby, Louise, join in on the fun. The mall is great, because they have nursing rooms, so you don't have to rush home to do feedings. Jack loves sleeping during our walks while waking occasionally to people watch and look at all the lights at the mall.

I have also been trying to start using the moby wrap. It is one of the more confusing carriers, but once Jack is in it, it is wonderful. I went over to a maternity store to have the owner show me how to use it, and Jack passed out the second he was resting against my chest. I went home and tried to do it myself the next day and could not seem to get it down, so I'm going to have to stop by the store again for another review. I thought I did it right until Jack came out the bottom of the wrap :).

Jack and I have also had the opportunity to hang out with two other moms and babies we know, Emily and Courtney. Emily and Courtney came over to our apartment one day. Their baby girls are 6 weeks and 3 weeks old, so a little bit younger than Jack. Jack was playing on his play mat, and the girls wanted to join in. Our little guy is already a ladies' man!

Another milestone that we have reached is that Jack started sleeping in his crib over the weekend. His first night in the crib was Saturday (1/22/11). I felt a lot better about moving him from the pack 'n play into his own bedroom by purchasing the Angelcare Movement Sensor. If you know me at all, you know that I am a worry-wart. You put this sensor under his mattress, and it sets off an alarm if the baby does not move/breathe for 20 seconds. There are two monitors that we put in the bedroom and the living room. The sensor shows you the baby's heart beat, the temperature of the nursery, and you can listen to the baby. The alert goes off if the baby stops moving/breathing as well as if the temperature in the nursery goes outside the limits you set. The alarm went off two nights ago, because the temperature in our apartment got too low. Overall, it helps me sleep better knowing that I would be alerted if something happened. Here's Jack in his crib after his first night alone. He was in good spirits and didn't look scarred by being alone :). I layed him down long ways, but he scoots around by pushing his feet against the mattress. He's never in the same position I left him in!

Jack and I were very excited that Jonathan got the chance to come home this past weekend from Friday afternoon until early Monday morning. It was going to be an entire month without seeing him, so it was great to have him come home and split up his time. Here's dad and son relaxing together on the couch:

Sadly, Monday morning arrived, and it was time for Jonathan to head back to California to start his hitch on the rig. We woke up early to drive him to the airport. This picture is us getting ready to head out the door. The lighting is really weird from being so dark in the apartment, but I still like the picture.

Jonathan and I are waiting to hear back about rental condos we put offers on so that we can schedule the movers. Jonathan gets off work February 8th, and he will head back home so we can get ready for the big move to California. We will be moving to Irvine, CA in Orange County. The weather out there is great right now, so I'm excited about getting to take walks every day with Jack and Izzy. It's really sad to leave Colorado, but it seems like Irvine will be a great place for our family, at least at this point in our lives. The best part is to be in the same state as where Jonathan works so that we might have a chance to see him during his 2 weeks at work. Plus, he can make it home quickly after his hitch is over.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't they growing so fast Sarah? Henry is 3 months old today. Wow. Jack is absolutely adorable!! And you're right, that Moby Wrap is a little complex, but once you figure it out, you'll be able to throw that thing on in a heartbeat. I always love your blog updates! :)

    ReplyDelete