Friday, May 16, 2014

Hot Days with my Boys

It has been so hot here this week in the high 90s and low 100s.  The boys and I have been trying to keep ourselves cool and busy this whole week while Jonathan's been out of town for work.  Both boys are pretty obsessed with chalk.  Our house looks like we were vandalized with graffiti, because they have been drawing all over the front of the house around the doors and windows, even on the window screens.  Owen also likes to draw all over his face and chest with chalk.
I wanted to get out to the mall to walk around and get out of the neighborhood, so I brought the boys' swimsuits so they could use the splash pad at the mall as some relief from the heat.  They ended up to the side of the splash pad splashing in a puddle most of the time.  Owen got on his stomach at one point and acted like he was swimming in the puddle.
 
Jonathan ordered a water table that arrived halfway through his time away.  They have really enjoyed splashing around and pouring water through the water wheel.  Their personalities really came out when I first set it up.  Owen immediately started splashing in the water and tried to climb in…he was soaking wet.  Jack kept saying, "Owen, stop!" and wouldn't go near the table until Owen stopped splashing since Jack doesn't like to get his clothes wet.  They are very different :).
After splashing around at the water table, they enjoyed popsicles on the porch.  By the end Owen was covered from forehead to belly button in popsicle.  Jack, on the other hand, didn't have a drop on him and ate very carefully :).
We went over to 7-Eleven the hottest day this week for cherry slurpees due to a major pregnancy craving.  Jack remembered them from last summer, and Owen was happy to participate as expected.
Earlier this week we were getting a little bit antsy before bed time, and I had run out of activities to do with them for the day.  We passed the time by squirting whipped cream into their mouths.  They both thought it was hilarious.  Jack was a little bit afraid at first and watched Owen first to make sure it was safe.
 
We also made a trip to the neighborhood pool this week.  Jack loves his puddle jumper and the independence that comes with it.  Owen and I had fun swimming around together and in the kiddie pool.
A sweet moment this week was when Jack asked Owen if he could hold his hand.  They walked down the street holding hands…so cute!
I have been getting these crazy terrible headaches from the time I wake up until I go to bed at night without a break for days straight.  They've finally started to die down the past couple of days, but I bought a mask you put in the fridge for about an hour and then put on your face.  It's normally for puffiness around the eyes, but it helped with some headache relief.  Anyway, Jack thought it was very interesting and enjoyed wearing it around the house.
The other night I was getting the boys ready to get into the shower for a quick rinse before bed.  I walked into the bathroom with Owen and turned on the shower water.  I turned around to call Jack into the bathroom.  When I turned back around to close the shower door, someone was already in the shower:
He's a quick little person.  I literally only had my head turned for about 5 seconds!

One other story that I wanted to share is that on Monday we were driving to the grocery store.  We passed a farmers market/farm on the road that had signs that are common in the area saying not to drink water from the sprinklers since it's all recirculated.  Out of nowhere Jack says, "Mommy, God made the don't drink the water signs.  God made the farm.  Mommy, Daddy, and God take care of me."  I immediately started joyfully sobbing since I'm an emotional mess this pregnancy, and it was too cute for me to handle.  The fact that his little wheels were turning in the back seat and that's what came out of his mouth shocked me.  He then continued on naming all the things God made that he was seeing along our drive…a bridge, the park, mountains, etc.  I think about this moment multiple times a day even five days later.  

It's been a week of long days without Jonathan's help in the evenings, but I've had the best time with these little guys.  They bring me so much joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment